Microsoft’s SCCM 2007 R2 Prerequisites
I’ve been going around forth and back with several SCCM 2007 (System Center Operations Manager) installations lately so I thought I’d share with you a very crucial and important.
If you get the prerequisites right you’ll end up with a healthy SCCM installation, otherwise you’ll end up troubleshooting something that is not meant to be troubelshooted =), I’d say 50% of the installation process is about the prerequisites.
[Roles and Features needed]:
- Install WSUS 3.0 SP2 either full installation or if there a WSUS in the environment install the administration console.
- From features install Remote Differential Compression.
- From features expand the .Net Framework 3.5.1 and check only .Net Framework 3.5.1
- From features installed BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
- From Roles add the IIS web-server roles and make sure you include WebDAV, IIS 6 WMI Compatibility
[Active Directory Checks]:
- Open Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in
- Enable the Advanced view mode.
- Expand the “Systems” object if you find a container named “System Management” go to it’s properties and go to the security tab and add the SCCM server with full rights on that container, also you must insure that inheritance is applied to all sub-objects.
- If you can’t find the “System Management” container, log on as an account that has the Create All Child Objects permission on the System container in Active Directory Domain Services.
- Run ADSI Edit, and connect to the domain in which the site server resides.
- Expand Domain <computer fully qualified domain name>, expand <distinguished name>, right-click CN=System, click New, and then click Object.
- In the Create Object dialog box, select Container, and then click Next.
- In the Value box, type System Management, and then click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Then apply step number 3.
- Add the SCCM server to the built-in “Administrators” group.
[Database Server Checks]:
- The SCCM server must be added to the built-in “Administrators” group in the MSSQL database server.
- The MSSQL server must be installed taking into consideration to stick only to “Windows Authentication“.
[IIS Role Checks]:
- At the default website go to the WebDAV feature modify it’s properties.
- Add an authoring rule that allow “All users” read access to “All content”. [this rule is not setup yet]
- Modify the WebDAV setting “Allow anonymous property queries” set to True
- Modify the WebDAV setting “Allow property queries with infinite depth” is set to True.
- Modify the WebDAV setting “Allow Custom Properties” is set to False.
- Make sure you have the WebDAV feature enabled.
[Extending the AD Schema]:
From the SCCM setup installation kit:
- Open CMD
- Go the directory “SMSSETUP\BIN\I386\”
- Type: extadch.exe
Now you can run the SCCM 2007 R2 installation and your prerequisites check will result with a green check mark of satisfaction :), oh and make sure once you’re done to install R3 directly before deploying your clients.