VMware vCenter 6.5 and SSL Renewal (Secure Entrapment)

Abdullah

Knowledge is limitless.

10 Responses

1. E2 says:

Came across this exact issue. Did as you suggested and it worked perfectly. Stopped the script and rebooted. Looks like maybe an oversight on the script end. Not sure why it would rollback the entire operation for a failed service to start. However, all the services start fine after reboot. It seems like something happened to my Update Manager when I did this process. A re-installed of Update Manger fixed that issue.

Thanks again :-)

-E2

2. daniel says:

this was the last test I was performing in my lab before going to upgrade the dev/prod … enviroments.
    I was about to reinstall all test enviroment before coming across this worked to the word.
    Thats for the post
    How will open case with VMware so I don’t have to perform in prod env this non convential fix!!!

thats again

daniel

3. moethelawn says:

Another potential cause for this is the subject name being the same on all certificates between MACHINE_SSL_CERT, machine, vsphere-webclient, etc. If you make them different for each cert, the services startup at the end should complete successfully. I ran into this issue and that is what ultimately got me through besides closing out the script at the end.

• Abdullah says:

Hello Moe,

Thank you for sharing this information, to my understanding is that when you have everything embedded you can use the same SSL certificate but when you have a distributed setup then you will need an SSL certificate with a SAN for each server/appliance and a wildcard will not be of use.

Regards,
      (Abdullah)^2

4. Getting frustrated by exactly this same issue. Thanks for the advice!

• PS: In my case the Update Manager service got broken because of the SSL certificate expiring. Using /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-util register-vc and refresh-certs, and then service-control –stop updatemgr / service-control –start updatemgr got everything working again.

• Abdullah says:

Yeah indeed it is, thank you for sharing.

5. Craig. M says:

You saved my sanity! I have spent all day looking at this issue, screaming at the monitor! Arrgh! Thanks so much for posting this.