vCenter Log Insight Static IP Address (Not Supported)
Today I wanted to install the vCenter Log Insight on my VMware Workstation
- Right-click on the OVA
- Open with VMware Workstation
- Specify the name and location of the virtual machine.
- Accept the license.
- Power on the virtual machine.,
Sadly as per the documentation you either require a DHCP server to obtain an IP address or you have to set it via the vApp settings by accessing the vCenter server and edit the vApp settings.
I did a small research on setting a static IP address for the vCenter Log Insight appliance and I have found out that it is no supported, so perform the hereunder at your own risk ;-).
- After powering on the virtual machine.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+F1
- Username root / password nothing (just hit enter).
- Change the default password and put something that is no a dictionary word =).
- Once at the terminal.
- Type ifconfig -a to get a list of the current network interfaces you should find “eth0” which is the virtual NIC and “lo” which is the loop back adapter.
- Type: cd /etc/sysconfig/network
- Type: ls where here you should see a configuration file called ifcfg-eth0
- Type: vi ifcfg-eth0 (If you’re not familiar with VI check this quick reference guide.
- Edit the network interface configuration file to match the hereunder:
- Hit the ESC key and then type :wq!
- Now reboot the virtual machine and you’re done.