Add Hyper-V Role on Windows Server 2012 under VMware Workstation 9
Olla! Today I decided to do my tests on Windows Server 2012 and I won’t say anything about it till I am completely done but I came across something that should be pretty handy to anyone who seeks this post :-).
If you’re trying to add the Hyper-V role to your Windows Server 2012 while hosted as a VM under VMware Workstation 8/9 you will need to do the following:
- Shutdown the VM and close it from the VMs tab.
- Locate the path to the VMX configuration file.
- Open the VMX file and add this line at the end of it (
hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE“) without quotes this will get you past the (Hyper-V cannot be installed: A hypervisor is already running.) error message.
- Now another entry needs to be added (mce.enable = “TRUE”) other wise you will end up with a HAL_Memory_Allocation upon start-up.
- Save the VMX file and power on your VM.
Now use the above at your own risk, please take a look at this post http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2010/10/1200-undocumented-vmx-parameters.html for more information about the hidden good stuff.