Veeam Backup for Office 365
Since Microsoft has been pushing all of its clients to migrate their messaging infrastructure to Office 365 and we’ve been a busy bee at it back at work, we have migrated/still-migrating a good portion of our customers including ourselves to Office 365.
Although moving to the cloud with your email is something great and good, if I was a system administrator responsible I would very much like to keep a local copy of the emails just in case, sure an SLA governs the whole thing but keep a close backup is something that itches! DOESN’T IT!
On the 29th of November Veeam release its solution for backup Office 365 mailboxes where you’re able to:
- Backup from Office 365 to a local repository.
- Restore backups with specifying destination.
- Export the whole mailbox or items/folders to your desktop in PST format.
The whole process is amazingly simple and as I am accustomed to Veeam products _IT_JUST_WORKS_ really everything is smoothly functional from the first setup.
You will require:
- A Windows machine (I did my tests on Windows Server 2012 R2).
- Install Veeam Backup for Office 365 and Veeam Explorer for Exchange.
- Add your Office 365 tenant/organization.
- Create your jobs.
- Test restore.
- All done.
I have recorded this in a small video just to show you how simple it is, the video is ~12 minutes but you’ll find me idling in it for a second here and there because of my little one’s constant interference :-D.